Sunday, May 2, 2010

Autumn mountain biking photography madness



The rain was bucketing down this morning and Lake Wakatipu, which was already on the verge of flooding many downtown businesses, will be getting even fuller...but now the sun has come out and I'm planning an afternoon of shooting mountain bikers sliding around amongst the mud and roots of Fernhill Loop (my favourite Queenstown trail in the wet or dry but especially in the wet).


In the meantime here's the first Fallon Photography blog and a very brief update on what I've been up to recently...

For the past month or two I have been shooting mountain biking all over the south island. It's been full on but a lot of fun. I've been able to ride some great trails, spend time with my girlfriend Jada and good friends while I'm "working" (shooting mountain biking hardly feels like "work"), and capture some great mountain biking images all at the same time.
The highlights of these two months for me would have to be riding the Croesus and Wharfedale Tracks and staying at the Blackball Hilton (actually called "formerly The Blackball Hilton" to avoid lawsuits from you-know-who).

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure yet the Croesus (6km from Blackball, West Coast) is basically the world's biggest rock garden and is a hell of a lot of fun. The Wharfedale (Oxford, 20km or so north-east of Springfield, Arthur's Pass) is a completely different track, less technical but just super fun, fast and flowy singletrack...a good gradient, loads of roots and you can ride almost all of it flat out. In short a wicked trail that is an insane amount of fun to ride!

I will be shooting a lot more mountain biking over the coming month, then once the snow is here I will be concentrating on shooting skiing and winter biking.
This winter I will be spending less time on the ski resorts and will be doing most of my shooting in the back-country. The goal is to shoot great skiers on beautiful natural terrain in a landscape that is untouched by humans. The other side of this goal is just to get away from the resorts and spend more time in the mountains. Here's hoping we have an epic snow season this winter!!

Anyway, that's it for now - the sun is shining and it's time for me to get to work. Have a great autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment